Why yes, I was inspired by the recent Back to the Future Day, but alas, Marty McFly is not anywhere near my favorite time travelers. This is usually where I state that the list is in no particular order, except I’m making an exception for #1.
1. Kyle Reese: The Terminator – A man volunteers to go through time in an experimental time machine to save the woman he loves who doesn’t even know he exists? Yep, he’s my #1 hero on top of favorite time traveler.
2. Enterprise Bridge Crew – Star Trek 4: the Voyage Home – It’s not just about the whales. It’s about friendship, love, loss, sacrifice, and forgiveness. And it’s damn funny to boot.
3. Wolverine – The X-Men: Days of Future Past – It’s not just about Hugh Jackman’s delectable bare backside. Well, okay it is, but you could make the argument that the rest of the movie was well done too. Strong plot, lots of action, and Stewart & McKellan showing us friendship can withstand all challenges and endure the test of time. (I’d also like to point out that Michael Biehn has an equally delectable backside in Terminator – in case anyone is keeping track).
4. Phil – Groundhog Day – he’s iconic at this point, though how many people remember the character’s name? I recently rewatched the movie and it holds up quite nicely.
5. Lola – Run Lola Run – An award-winning German language film about a young woman trying to save her boyfriend from being murdered. She runs, but fails, so she screams, resets time, runs again, fails again until the third time around.
6. The Doctor – Doctor Who – perennial favorite. Not even going to differentiate between which one because there’s so many to choose from.
7. Sam Winchester – Supernatural: Mystery Spot – One of the best episodes of the entire series and remember, we’re talking 11 seasons here. Yes, it’s inspired by Groundhog Day and even starts off pretty funny, but becomes less and less so as the story progresses.
Now I need an opinion from all of you: Do Captain America and the Winter Soldier qualify as time travelers? Let me know because I’m on the fence about it.